I feel very lucky to be selected as part of Playlab Theatre’s 2022 Incubator program, where I will participate in workshops with five other wonderful playwrights (Amy Chien-Yu Wang, Felicity Morton, Kurt Duval, Michael Sams, and Tammy Weller). I am excited to receive feedback and support in drafting my own play over the coming year, with the help of program facilitator, actor, and playwright, Kathryn Marquet. You can read more about the program here.
Join me online on Sunday 26 July from 1pm-4pm, as we explore using our memories as a springboard for writing poetry.
This poetry workshop will include a talk about my experience of writing memoir poetry, a poetry reading from my collection Amnesia Findings, poetry exercises and prompts, and I will leave time to answer all questions poetry.
This workshop will focus on:
– The dark and light of memoir poetry.
– Memory (and gaps in memory) and how poetry is the perfect form to express these short vignettes.
– Our poetry journeys and how we came to poetry or how poetry found us.
– Storytelling through poetry and snapshots we can use from our lives to inspire poems.
– Reclaiming a sense of agency for our stories through poetry by working through ideas and experiences we want to understand further.
– Using simple language and vivid imagery in poetry to evoke strong emotional responses.
To book a place, visit the Avid Reader website here. I look forward to seeing you!